Stanley D. Anderson Architecture
The Stanley D. Anderson Firm
Stanley D. Anderson and his pre WWII partner, James Ticknor and in the post WWII war era, William Bergmann, designed a collection of the finest homes and commercial buildings in Lake Forest, Illinois, Chicago’s North Shore and across the United States. Their architectural design contributed to the style and standard of Lake Forest architecture for over 60 years. This record is remarkable in that much of Lake Forest is premised on world-class design of all types: architecture, landscape architecture, and urban design.
For over a century Lake Forest has been the Midwest home of famous architects’ works: building a dense fabric of exquisite homes and buildings. The list of nationally prominent architects is long and impressive: David Adler, Howard van Doren Shaw, Edwin Hill Clark, Phillip Lippincott Goodwin, Harrie Lindeberg, Delano and Aldrich, Frank Lloyd Wright, and many others worked in the community.
Stanley was the center of the firm. He was an outstanding architect in his own right. However, Stanley always had a partner. In the early years, it was James H. Ticknor. “Jim,” as he was known to friends, was equally as well trained as Stanley. Both took architectural training at the University of Illinois, both attended the Atelier Laloux at the Ecole des Beaux Arts in Paris at the end of their military service in WWI, and both apprenticed at top notch Chicago firms: Stanley worked at Howard van Doren Shaw’s office for six years. Jim Ticknor worked at D. H. Burnham and Sons. Stanley’s later partner, after WWII, was William “Bill” E. Bergmann, an architect trained in the American Beaux-arts style at the University of Minnesota.
The Firm’s Work
The Stanley D. Anderson architectural firm was in business for 67 years. The firm outlived its founders, Stanley Anderson and James Ticknor and was passed on to Bill Bergmann. The firm was prolific, listing over 1700 projects in its job book.
The firm built over 30 public and commercial buildings in Lake Forest and Lake Bluff. Most still survive. These buildings are in addition to the approximately 200 fine residences, horse farms, churches, schools, and many other types of structures designed by the Firm.
However the firm is most well-known for its four signature buildings: Lake Forest Bank (now the Northern Trust) 1930, King Bruwaert Home in Hinsdale, Illinois 1932-33, Lake Forest High School 1935, and Lake Forest Hospital 1941.