Stanley D. Anderson Architecture
Over the course of the firm’s life it designed four public buildings that became signature buildings. All four are built in the classic Georgian style the firm popularized. The firm members called this style “Country Georgian.”
The First National Bank (now the Northern Trust) was built in 1930 and is the first public building to carry the Firm’s popular Georgian triangular pediment. It has Palladian windows and an Italian, Medici Bank-inspired window on the west fašade that house the alarm bell inside the wrought iron grille work and carved stone surround. The main banking room is a celebration of fine moldings and classical details. Bill Bergmann designed a major addition to the building in the early 1960s that doubled the size of the building and modernized the facilities amenities.
The second is the King Bruwaert Home (pronounced “Bra-Vahr”) in Hinsdale Illinois. Built at the depths of the Depression in 1932-33, this building is a tour-de-force in classic Georgian architecture. It has the pediments, cornices and other details of fine Georgian architecture, along with elements of earlier English styles. The home was built as a retirement home for unwed and widowed women and was supported by a substantial endowment by Susan King Bruwaert. It is the beginning of the firm’s definition of its “Country Georgian” style of relaxed but formal design. The main dining room is filled with sculpted moldings and a monumental broken-pediment fireplace mantel and breastwork.
Lake Forest High School followed in 1935, with its classic pediments and cornices but still defining that more relaxed “Country Georgian” style with the use of Lannon stone in the central mass rather than the formal red brick and carved Bedford limestone. The school was designed to emulate the finest private preparatory schools in the east and was a Works Public Administration (WPA) project.
The final public building was Lake Forest Hospital, built in 1941, which the Firm members described as being built in the Regency or Late Georgian style. It was a return from the High School’s “Country Georgian” style to the formal classicism of red brick and finely sculpted cornice moldings and the favorite triangular pediment. Bill Bergmann substantially revised the hospital in the 1950s through the 1960s more than doubling its size, adding several wings, modernizing the surgical and obstetrical units and other substantial alterations....'