CoffeeRing1a1a1

Stanley D. Anderson Architecture

Introduction | Biographies | Four Signature Buildings

 

Stanley Davis Anderson

Stanley Anderson was raised in Lake Forest and graduated from Lake Forest College. He attended the University of Illinois and Atelier Laloux at the Ecole des Beaux Arts in France to obtain his architectural and engineering training. In 1921 both Anderson and Ticknor, enrolled in summer school classes of Dr. Paul Phillippe Chet at the University of Pennsylvania. Dr. Chet graduated from the Beaux Arts and was a leading proponent of the American Beaux Arts school. Stanley worked in Howard van Doren Shaw’s office for more than 6 years as chief draftsman before launching his own firm May 25, 1925. He died April 18, 1960. Stanley was buried in the family plot at Lake Forest Cemetery.

 

James Hotchkiss Ticknor

Stanley’s pre-World War II partner was James H. Ticknor. “Jim” as he was known, was born in Peoria, Illinois, May 25, 1893. He received his degree in architecture from the University of Illinois in 1917. He, along with Stanley attended the Atelier Laloux at the Ecole des Beaux Arts in Paris at the end of World War I. Ticknor was hired by the well-known Chicago firm, D. H. Burnham and Co., in 1920 and worked there he formed Anderson and Ticknor May 25, 1925. At the end of World War II James Ticknor left the 20-year relationship and opened his own office in Glencoe, IL. He died in 1987.

 

William Edward Bergmann

William Edward “Bill” Bergmann was born November 11, 1917 in Oconomowoc, Wisconsin. Bill, as he was called, was educated at the University of Minnesota receiving a Master in Architecture degree. Bergmann studied under Professor Leon Arnal, Head of Design at Minnesota. Arnal was a Frenchman who had been trained at the Ecole des Beaux Arts. He apprenticed in Kansas where he designed Army camps and at Princeton University where he taught and did top-secret war design work during WWII. After the war he worked for Houser Architects in Milwaukee designing Gothic and Tudor churches. Bill Bergmann joined the firm as an associate architect in 1946. He became a partner in 1949. He left the Firm briefly in the early 1950s to found Bergmann-Traer Architects. Bergmann returned to the Firm and managed it until he retired in 1992. He passed away in 1994.